[OT] Apple introduces Swift as Objective-C sucessor

Remo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 5 10:14:36 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 5 June 2014 at 09:55:21 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2014-06-04 23:21, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 6/3/2014 2:44 PM, Remo wrote:
>>> No exceptions (!) so this is at least something that this
>>> language do better as C++ and D  :D
>>> Not everyone think that exceptions are necessary or there is
>>> no
>>> other way to handle errors.
>>
>> Exceptions make ARC expensive, so this may be a reasonable
>> decision for
>> Swift.
>
> I'm wondering how they'll handle exceptions thrown from
> Objective-C code which Swift calls.

Exceptions make a lot of other thing expensive and complicated.
IMHO Exceptions should only be used in really really exceptional
cases and not all the way and for control flow.

Fortunately it is not really necessary to use Exceptions in C++.
A great example for this is LLVM and Clang code base.

I hope this is also possible to do this in D too.
Any way it would be better if D Language would better support
alternative error handling system.