(git HEAD) std.datetime spewing deprecation messages

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 5 17:39:58 PDT 2014

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 18:15:11 -0400
Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
wrote:

> Respectfully disagree, the API looks very good to me. And decidedly
> not C-like.

It's not even _possible_ to write a function like this in C or in C++98
(though - though maybe C++11/14 can). I don't know of any other language where
a function like this can exist. I think that it's actually a great example of
what you can do with D, and it's implementation not shows off a number of
basic features, but it's simple enough that it's not at all hard to understand
in spite of how fancy what it's doing is. I've never seen another language
that had metaprogramming language capabilities as simple and powerful as this.

Sure, you could argue that having the function take ref instead of pointers
would be better (though that's debatable) and that using pointers instead of
ref is too C-like, but since you unfortunately can't actually have variadic
template arguments which are ref, we're stuck with pointers for that overload
of split even if we would have wanted to do it differently. getopt is in the
same boat, so it's already doing what some other important D functions do.

- Jonathan M Davis