[OT] Extra time spent

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 6 11:01:38 PDT 2014

On 6/6/2014 1:06 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 05:14:34PM +0200, Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> Isn't the fundamental problem here that the customer will pay a billion
>> dollars even if the software ends up being full of bugs?
>
> Yes, because the customer is a corporate entity, whose upper management
> doesn't know (nor care) about the difference between good software and
> working but very buggy software. They dictate the financial decisions,
> and their IT department just has to live with it. So it really goes both
> ways. Company A's upper management decides to acquire software X from
> company B, and company B's upper management decides on an unrealistic
> schedule, and both A's and B's tech staff have to suffer the
> consequences. A's tech staff can't produce good software in that
> unrealistic timeframe, and B's tech staff have to deal with all the bugs
> that end up in X.

Bottom line is, managers are purely liabilities, not assets.

It's no surprise to me that the best software out there is usually OSS,
where there isn't one damn manager anywhere to be found. Funny how
people think managers perform an actual function, and yet we get by fine
- BETTER - without their existence.