SurveyMonkey for D users OS - Results

ed via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 6 21:12:24 PDT 2014

On Friday, 6 June 2014 at 22:04:35 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

>>> Not really, case in point my Netbook Asus EEE PC 1215B, which
>>> was sold
>>> in Germany via Amazon with GNU/Linux support pre-installed.
>>>
>>> After one year usage, the wireless card stopped working with
>>> IPv4
>>> routers, because Ubuntu devs decided to replace the
>>> proprietary driver
>>> in the LTS distribution, although the open source version was
>>> still
>>> work in progress.
>>
>>> LTS distribution
>>
>> This is the problem. Don't use LTS releases for desktops and
>> your Linux
>> experience will be much more pleasant. It is natural but wrong
>> approach
>> simply because kernel and driver support is evolving so fast
>> that LTS
>> versions can never really catch up.
>>
>> Bleeding edge distros have best h/w support, though that may
>> cost some
>> time wasted of system tinkering once in a while.
>
> I got tired of tinkering. It must work out of the box,
> otherwise I have better things to do with my life.
>
> --
> Paulo

I gave up on Ubuntu due to bugs, crashes and general instability
that started to appear around 9.10. I switched to Fedora 16 after
Ubuntu 12.04 still had not resolved all the stability issues, X
crashes every package upgrade etc. Fedora has never given me any
real problems...

I switched to Arch about 12 months ago because I wanted the
latest clang, gcc et. al. and didn't want to wait 3-4 months for
the next Fedora release. I've never looked back.

Arch is by far the most stable and up to date Linux I've ever
used.