[OT] Extra time spent

SomeDude via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 8 02:20:44 PDT 2014

On Friday, 6 June 2014 at 18:51:17 UTC, Mattcoder wrote:
> Well, some managers are mindless and that story about do it now
> or we will lose our customer,  in most cases it's just a
> bluff/threat or call it what you want.

Unfortunately, commercial's bonus is based on their selling
performance, so they will sell anything they can, even if it
doesn't exist yet. Especially if they need to win a contract in
face of competitors.
OTOH, if the contract is won, the company has an obligation to
deliver.

> I've saw some programmers complaining about their managers, but
> what I really would like to see are these programmers joining
> together to convince the manager the problems with fast and low
> quality software, and how their company will lose money fixing
> it later.
>
> Matheus.

It's hard, because most managaers more or less know that, and
they prefer to get the money right away and deal with tech issues
later, hoping that they are overblown by the dev team and won't
jeopardize entirely the project.

   From an economic POV, it's the right thing to do. The benefit of
this is getting the contract in face of the competition; but if
the quality is too low, the risk is losing the customer at the
end and getting a bad reputation.

The company I work for has been somewhat guilty of this attitude,
selling an unfinished product for quite a large amount of money.
The problem is, the customer still hasn't paid us a year later,
because of many technical instabilities (not mentionning obvious
corruption problems on the customer side). Today, the product has
mostly stabilized, but we're still running after our money.