[OT] Extra time spent

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 8 10:04:25 PDT 2014

On 6/7/2014 3:53 PM, Kagamin wrote:
> On Friday, 6 June 2014 at 02:21:45 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> On 6/5/2014 6:08 PM, deadalnix wrote:

>> My (completely unfounded) belief is that nobody *truly* likes that
>> stuff. ;)
>
> Why so? I was very impressed, how lyrical is synchronicity:
> http://youtu.be/Frh6-qHVaiE

Well, I'm in the US, JPop is *far* from mainstream here (a major
subculture at most). Anime opening/closings usually are very, very good
IMO. Haven't heard that one before though, very good, sounds similar to
Kotoko with a bit of a Yoko Kanno flair (specifically thinking of the
Ghost in the Shell SAC opening, which IIRC, Kanno-san was involved in.)

That's also a great example of why IMO Hollywood and some of the newer
western-style games often do a lousy job in music - the harder they try,
the worse they do IMO. Aside from the one notable exception of Symphony
of the Night, I can't stand orchestrated scores. They just sound generic
at best. Great example of good music selection: The background music in
the opening battle scene from first episode of Madoka Magica. Absolutely
puts hollywood (and games like Uncharted 3 and Mario Galaxy) to shame.

Anyway, I'm completely geeking out now, so I'll stop ;)