[OT] Extra time spent

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 9 09:37:07 PDT 2014

> On 6/8/14, 10:46 AM, SomeDude wrote:
>>
>> You want in ear isolating earphones. Basically earplugs that play music.
>> Since the ambiant noise is greatly reduced, you don't need to play loud
>> at all. Some brands isolate more or less well. Etymotics isolate very
>> well.

I'll never understand how people can use earbuds. They're so
uncomfortable, walking around with stuff *inside* your ears. Awkward.

I like the clip-style, they don't fall off, they let me still hear
what's going on around me, and they don't feel like ear tampons.

Only problem is it's impossible to find good clip-ons. *All* the Sony
clip-ons have horrible sound quality and they're ugly to boot. The Koss
ones are the *only* ones I've ever found that actually sound decent, but
they invariably stop working within a few months, and warranty
replacements take several weeks and cost $6-$9 each time.

> Yah. One well-known fact about Facebook is it has an open layout

Ouch, and here I'd been starting to think facebook was a good programmer
workplace ;(

I've programmed in everything from open "warroom" to coffee shop to
cubicle farm to private office, and I'm confident in stating there is
*NO* environment more poorly suited to programming than open
environments. I don't understand how anyone can *ever* get any code
written or problems solved in such an environment, sound-blocking
headphones or not. I'd take a cubicle-hell before doing the "open
environment" thing again. Sounds like they're valuing architectural
trendiness over practical, appropriate decision-making.

> One less-known fact is it makes high quality
> headphones (both in-ear (Klipsch) and over-the-ear (Sennheiser))
> available to all employees for free. -- Andrei

Well, even high quality headphones are cheaper than proper offices.
Offering them free seems like the least they could do.