[OT] Extra time spent

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 9 10:45:54 PDT 2014

On 6/9/2014 9:57 AM, John Colvin wrote:
> * Most consumer gear is atrociously inaccurate. They might sound "pleasing" for
> a limited repertoire but having done a fair amount of pro-audio I just get
> frustrated not being able to hear any detail. I want to hear the sound as it was
> intended. Even the ATH-m50s are far from perfect, but they're good for the price
> and were at least designed with accuracy in mind.

I kinda stopped worrying about that after a couple experiences:

1. In the space of two days, I attended two concerts, and each had a violin
solo. One was at the opera house, and used no amplification. The other was at
the Paramount theater, and had a mike attached to the violin and we heard it
amplified. The no-amp one sounded SO MUCH BETTER. There was just no comparison.
And Yanni, who performed at the Paramount, could afford the best amplification
setup. There is no electronic system in existence that can sound like a live
instrument.

2. I used to be able to hear the difference between cassette tape and vinyl. Not
no more. Oh well.

The upshot is, if it sounds reasonable at all I'm good to go with it.