[OT] Extra time spent

Meta via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 9 11:48:56 PDT 2014

On Monday, 9 June 2014 at 18:03:54 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 6/9/2014 12:57 PM, John Colvin wrote:
>>
>> I initially found that style uncomfortable, but quickly got
>> used to it.
>> That said, I almost exclusively use proper headphones these
>> days.
>>
>> A pair of Audio-Technica ATH-m50s is a great buy: accurate
>> sound (slight
>> high-end boost but meh, I'll take slight imbalance over poor
>> quality any
>> day*), good comfort and hard-wearing. I believe they have just
>> released
>> an updated version, but I haven't heard much about them.
>>
>> * Most consumer gear is atrociously inaccurate. They might
>> sound
>> "pleasing" for a limited repertoire but having done a fair
>> amount of
>> pro-audio I just get frustrated not being able to hear any
>> detail. I
>> want to hear the sound as it was intended. Even the ATH-m50s
>> are far
>> from perfect, but they're good for the price and were at least
>> designed
>> with accuracy in mind.
>
> Speaking of such things, I've actually been considering that
> pair Sony recently put out aimed at the PS3/PS4. While I
> generally dislike headband and isolating-style headphones (and
> really dislike the extreme unbalancedness of a single
> non-Y-style cord), the idea of a relatively affordable wireless
> virtual-surround with *hopefully* decent quality is appealing
> (even if the virtual-surround is limited to two specific
> set-top boxes).
>
> Any experience with those ones?
>
> (Although frankly I'm disappointed with how virtual surround is
> handled these days anyway. I had a sound card *over ten years
> ago* that could do virtual surround with *any* headphones,
> worked very well, but nothing ever used it and then the whole
> concept just disappeared entirely. Until now where it seems to
> exist only as a specific-headset-locked, settop-locked
> perversion of anti-technology. Ugh.)

I have a set of these headphones that I got in winter 2011. The
battery lasts for around 8 hours on a charge and is charged via a
regular mini-USB cable. The construction is very sturdy. The only
wear on the headset is that some of the covering on the
headphones is coming off. If you're not an audiophile, it's
perfectly serviceable in that regard, and being wireless is a
huge plus. I have a hard time going back to wired headphones now.

Before this headset I had a ~130$ Turtle Beach headset and it
broke within a year and a half. One of the ear "cups" broke off
entirely because the only thing keeping it attached to the
headband is a thin plastic cylinder. Worse, Turtle Beach only
guarantees their headsets 1 year. I tried sending Turtle Beach's
customer service an email to get them to make an exception, but
no dice. I have 3 other friends that had their Turtle Beach
headsets break within a year, one who had it shipped to him and
it came broken. And now I realize that I'm ranting.

TL;DR: Sony's wireless PS3 headset is great, Turtle Beach
absolutely sucks.