pyd - continuous integration

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 10 01:31:38 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 22:37 +0000, Ellery Newcomer via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> So pyd is at the point where it really needs some sort of test
> suite runner. It's kind of complicated since I need to test
> against
>
> * multiple versions of dmd/ldc/gdc
> * multiple versions of python (2.4 - 3.4, but I'm thinking of
> dropping 2.4 and 2.5 this year)

Unless there is an extant user base for 2.4 and 2.5, I would drop them
with immediate effect, which would allow to upgrade to a reasonable
Python code quality. There are very few people still stuck with 2.5 even
fewer with 2.4 and increasingly 2.6 is going away (but not totally
thanks to Red Hat :-(

I suggest ignoring 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2, and supporting only 3.3 and later.
This gives a much greater chance of having a single Python codebase
executable with either 2.7 or 3.3/3.4. So if you can drop 2.6 as well,
things get almost livable with.

Personally I only use 3.4, but there are those who will not upgrade and
insist on using 2.7.

> * redhat, ubuntu, osx, windows, etc

Fedora and Debian.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how or where to set this up?
> I had a peek at atlassian bamboo, but it looks like it only plays
> with ec2, which I don't know anything about.

There is TeamCity, I am involved in a couple of projects using that.
Works well and (unsurprisingly) had excellent support in IntelliJ IDEA
and PyCharm.

Bamboo can be a bit of a pain, but once set up work well. I am using the
Codehaus instance because some of the project I work on are Codehaus
projects.

You could run Jenkins somewhere.

I guess the issue is being able to set up 9 or 10 virtual machines for
all the variants needed.

Perhaps a good solution would be to run Buildbot, have the server local
to you and ask for volunteers to offer slaves. This used to work very
well for me for a now dead project. It also used to work excellently for
the SCons project, but since the exit of the two main developers, there
has been a bit of hiatus. This is being fixed now, and a good Buildbot
set up being put in place.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk