Redesign of dlang.org

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 10 07:44:13 PDT 2014

Am 10.06.2014 16:06, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
> On 6/10/14, 3:42 AM, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>> * Are there any other opinions on this? I remember that there have been
>> some strong proponents of using DDOC for things, so it would be bad if
>> in the end Markdown were to be dropped, after all of the work has
>> already been done. Personally I'd strongly favor Markdown, though.
>
> I think ddoc is a lot more flexible than markdown, and I'm baffled by
> the claim that ddoc is difficult to learn. That said I do agree it's a
> turnoff for first-time website contributors. IMHO if we switch away from
> ddoc we should switch to something better, not something just different.
> -- Andrei

Markdown has the advantages of a semantic content representation - so
while it doesn't have a flexible macro system, external processors can
be used to transform it into any desired output format (including binary
or white space sensitive formats).

But the key points for me would be better readability and its broad
prevalence among the general developer community. One possibly major
consequence of this is tool support. For example, GitHub has a built-in
editor with preview for Markdown documents, so that anyone with a GitHub
account can quickly edit page contents without having to clone or build
the site.