extern(Windows) behavior on non-Windows systems

FreeSlave via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 12 03:46:45 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 11 June 2014 at 23:19:43 UTC, Iain Buclaw via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Honestly, I'd first deprecate/remove extern(Pascal), then think
> about
> deprecating extern(Windows) later.

I agree. Does anyone use extern(Pascal)? It's piece of old
history, and now it's more discouraging than useful, because it
seems like the way to link D program with Pascal code, but today
there are pascal compilers with incompatible mangling (just like
C++ ones). For example, extern(Pascal) will not work with
FreePascal as I recall.

And yes, there is extern(System) already for described purpose.
It would be just weird to allow extern(Windows) work on
non-Windows systems (just because of the name). Even if it can be
useful by some reason, it needs to have another name
(extern(Microsoft) or something).