A Perspective on D from game industry

Peter Alexander via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 15 06:50:09 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 11:45:30 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> I like how he says that productivity is important and mentions
> fear of meta-programming in the same article ;)

That's true, but meta programming is just a tool. Would be nice
to implement dynamic visualisation and interactivity with it
though.

The fear of meta programming comes from Boost, and rightly so in
my opinion. Boost is written with the assumption that users will
never have to read its source code. When it comes to debugging
and performance tuning however, that assumption is shattered.

Fortunately, D makes meta programming more simple, but it's
something to keep in mind.

> Interesting though, I had totally different set of demands and
> expectation when used to work with C/C++. Feels like industry
> matters much more than a language here.

Absolutely. I'm beginning to learn of these differences since
leaving gamedev :-)