A Perspective on D from game industry

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 15 09:06:06 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 13:50:10 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 11:45:30 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> I like how he says that productivity is important and mentions
>> fear of meta-programming in the same article ;)
>
> That's true, but meta programming is just a tool. Would be nice
> to implement dynamic visualisation and interactivity with it
> though.

Well I'd call it productivity tool number one when it comes to
language features (as opposed to external tools). Best way to be
productive at writing code is to not write it at all :)

> The fear of meta programming comes from Boost, and rightly so in
> my opinion. Boost is written with the assumption that users will
> never have to read its source code. When it comes to debugging
> and performance tuning however, that assumption is shattered.
>
> Fortunately, D makes meta programming more simple, but it's
> something to keep in mind.

C++ has done a huge damage to meta paradigm, resulting in many
programmers thinking first about how horrible actual
implementation is and rarely even considering what can help to
achieve with more reasonable design.

Had some good time of my own debugging Boost::Spirit2 >_<