Out of sight out of mind

Andrew Edwards via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 15 10:11:03 PDT 2014

On 6/15/14, 12:21 PM, bearophile wrote:
> Andrew Edwards:
>
>> Already proven a valuable resource, GitHub offers the tools necessary
>> to resolve this problem. The "issues" feature (not currently activated
>> for any D-Programming-Language repo) allows us to set milestones (with
>> due dates), assign tasks, and create and apply labels (multiple where
>> required).
>
> How do you move the Bugzilla issues and their attach files and cross
> links to GitHub? And how do you move all that back to Bugzilla (or
> another bug manager) once something terrible happens to GitHub four
> years from now?

How do you recover your work from the GitHub five years from now when
GitHub falls off the edge of the earth and simultaneously your PC with
the only backup copy gets fried by an electrical surge?

Say GitHub never recovers from said disaster: what will you do to
reunite all the developers working on D that seem far more productive
than before moving to GitHub?

And while we are predicting the demise of GitHub, what happens when the
server housing DITS fall into the same black hole as GitHub?

People repeatedly file the same bug report, even though those reports
are publicly visible on an infinitely more powerful and internally
controlled system than GitHub.

The database will be rebuilt by this very action. And that's assuming
the worst case scenario: the GitHub server farm (and every productive
member of the GitHub team) gets swallowed up by a black hole and no
knows how to bring them back.

As for transferring the data to GitHub, nothing says the transition has
to be instantaneous. It can be accomplished in two steps:

	1) Open all new issues in GitHub
	2) Migrate reports individually to GitHub and close out from on Bugzilla

#1 would cause the problem of requiring people to use two systems at the
same time, but since we are already doing that, it does not add to the
cognitive load. #2 poses the problem of who will do the work. Assuming
there is no automatic way to get it done, I am willing to personally
migrate every single report by hand.