A Perspective on D from game industry

Jesse Phillips via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 15 12:09:09 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 16:20:28 UTC, Xinok wrote:
> Location: Italy
> Qualifications: Rendering Engineer
> https://www.blogger.com/profile/01477408942876127202
>
> Given that he lives in Italy, it's safe to assume that English
> is not his first language. But rather than consider what he has
> to say or dispute his arguments, you completely dismissed his
> point of view because his level of writing doesn't meet your
> standards. Furthermore, you unjustly called him a
> "sophisticated idiot" and "narcissistic cunt". You've only
> shown yourself to be the ignorant one.

Agreed, this culture of, be perfect or I won't listen to you is
annoying. Natural language is not a well specified language like
programming (where the computer truly can't do anything but
exactly what you tell it).

Natural language is only useful as a means for communication. If
your only concerned with the grammar and ignore the
communication, you've missed the point. (This is coming from
someone who's worked on getting a computer to understand that
communication and respond appropriately. Note: proper grammar
does not remove ambiguity).

Instead, concentrate on what was communicated and write a retort
for that. For example:

In his referenced 2011 post he says that a new C++ is needed
because no one fully understands it. In this post he says D is of
no value because no one needs to fully understand C++.

He obviously doesn't understand the value of putting meta
programming into the hands of the common programmer, and I
believe D does this even though it can get more complex.

Also in the 2011 post, D should have been listed in all three
section, Scripting, High-level, System. This suggests he doesn't
really see D as bridging the gap and uniting all layers.