A Perspective on D from game industry

Burp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 15 13:26:55 PDT 2014

  I work in the game industry so I'm familiar with this type of
mindset. Not everyone in my industry is like this, but
unfortunately many are(I avoid working with them).

  He doesn't understand metaprogramming and so dismisses it. He
also assumes C++ is all about Java style OOP, when modern style
is wildly different from Java.

  And yes the game industry will likely *never* produce its own
language or tools. Why? Because it is very short-term goal
oriented, focusing almost entirely on the current project with
little thought for long term growth. Most companies are
relatively small, and even large ones like EA are very
fragmented(although EA did produce its own version of the STL).

  Basically, this guy is a *rendering engineer*, likely good at
math and algorithms, but not so hot with design.