A Perspective on D from game industry

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 15 13:53:58 PDT 2014

I'm going to try my hand at making a game with 2.066, because I
believe @nogc is a final piece in a puzzle of making doing that
easy. Much like writing bare metal D code without the runtime,
I'm going to try my hand at writing D code with the main function
marked as @nogc, because I reckon it's going to leave me with a
saner set of syntax and semantics than either C or C++ in the
end, with none of the drawbracks from the stop the world effect
in a game loop.

Having said that, I do think there's some kind of brain
malfunction on the part of games programmers that makes them
think "is slow and can't escape from" when they hear "garbage
collector" and "makes things more complicated and slower" when
they hear "template." Neither of these things are true.