Out of sight out of mind

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 15 18:05:21 PDT 2014

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 00:35:33 +0200
Martin Nowak via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 06/15/2014 05:37 PM, Andrew Edwards wrote:
> > Take issue #143 for instance. It is the oldest open issue on the
> > DLang Issue Tracking System. Submitted by Jarrett Billingsley on
> > May 17, 2006, it received one comment two days later but was
> > ignored for four years before Michal Minich made the second
> > comment. Another two years went by before Martin Nowak addressed
> > the issue, which Walter promptly reverted (reason unknown). The end
> > result? Eight years flew by and the issue remains unresolved.
>
> The main reasons why issues get stuck are unfinished debates, missing
> decisions and the general lack of manpower.
> Prioritization, focus and a bit of planning would help most to
> improve this IMO.

Exactly. I really don't think that moving the issues to github would help us
much at all, and it would cost us quite a bit of time in terms of manpower
(something that we're already sorely lacking), and from what I know of
github's features, we'd end up with a bugtracker that was worse anyway. The
only real advantage that it would have would be that it would be integrated
with what we were using to do pull requests. And I don't think that that's
anywhere near worth the cost.

- Jonathan M Davis