A Perspective on D from game industry

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 15 21:18:26 PDT 2014

On 6/15/2014 4:53 PM, w0rp wrote:
> I'm going to try my hand at making a game with 2.066, because I believe
> @nogc is a final piece in a puzzle of making doing that easy. Much like
> writing bare metal D code without the runtime, I'm going to try my hand
> at writing D code with the main function marked as @nogc, because I
> reckon it's going to leave me with a saner set of syntax and semantics
> than either C or C++ in the end, with none of the drawbracks from the
> stop the world effect in a game loop.
>
> Having said that, I do think there's some kind of brain malfunction on
> the part of games programmers that makes them think "is slow and can't
> escape from" when they hear "garbage collector" and "makes things more
> complicated and slower" when they hear "template." Neither of these
> things are true.

I think C++ has caused a lot of brain damage to a lot of unfortunate souls.

In addition to giving templates a bad name, I think C++ has done a lot
to damage the reputations of both static typing and native compilation.
I attribute the VM obsession of the early 2000's, and the big surge in
dynamic popularity, largely to C and C++ for being
misleading-but-popular examples of static typing and native compilation.

C++'s lack of finally didn't do any favors for exception handling's
popularity, either. (Has "finally" finally been added?)