A Perspective on D from game industry

simendsjo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 15 23:41:54 PDT 2014

On 06/15/2014 11:16 PM, Abdulhaq wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 20:10:34 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 6/15/2014 9:20 AM, Xinok wrote:
>>> Given that he lives in Italy, it's safe to assume that English is not
>>> his first
>>> language. But rather than consider what he has to say or dispute his
>>> arguments,
>>> you completely dismissed his point of view because his level of
>>> writing doesn't
>>> meet your standards.
>>
>> Xinok does have a point that we all should be aware of.
>>
>> I've found a very strong correlation between poor writing skills and
>> disorganized thinking.
>>
>> (Your point about non-native English speakers is well taken, one must
>> not confuse unfamiliarity with English with disorganized thinking.)
>>
>> I'm hardly the only one. If one wants their views to be taken
>> seriously, pay attention to spelling, grammar, paragraphs, organized
>> writing, etc. There's an awful lot of stuff to read on the internet,
>> and poor writing often elicits a "meh, I'll skip this one and move on"
>> reaction.
>
> True but if I'm going to judge a comment by the way it's written I'll
> take a second language piece over a foul and insulting rant any day of
> the week.

And my guess is the people doing the insults never use another language
than their native language on a day-to-day basis. Not being a native
English speaker myself, I too got offended by this rant. It's naive to
assume everyone should be as fluent in English as native speakers. Some
countries are even dubbing all English shows and movies, so they're not
exposed to much English outside some forums - where many people might
not be native speakers themselves and thus learning you faulty grammar.
Luckily most people understands this issue.