Is D production-ready?

John Petal via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 16 03:24:45 PDT 2014

Hi!
A while ago, after my journey with PHP and Python, I've decided
to learn C++. However, the more I learned, the more it got
complicated. I think what Scott Meyer said in his talk was the
main reason: the language was inconsistent; it didn't make sense
as a whole. It always needed an extra explanation.

I saw D. "It is unstable!" they said, "There aren't enough
tools!" they said. I thought, "If I learn C++, he learns C++,
then how the hell alternatives are supposed to rise?" I felt
responsible. I wanted to contribute to D community.

So I gave D a shot. People were kind of right – it was hard for a
beginner for me to get into. I mean, I spent a whole day trying
to make DSFML work. I wasn't trying to produce anything, so I was
happy that I spent my time learning those things. I'm getting
better – I still don't consider myself as a "programmer," but I'm
getting better.
(Sorry about the storytelling, I just wanted to share.)

Now I want to know if the language is production-ready. I can't
really see anything besides abandoned libraries written in D. Is
it possible – for example – to write a simple 2D game, or an
automation program, or a text editor in D? I know the language is
perfectly capable, but I'm not sure if the tools are mature
enough.

Does D have a mature and cross-platform GUI library?
Does D have a mature SFML or SDL binding?
Are there any advices you can give me?

By the way, sorry for my English.

Thank you!
John