foreach

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 16 10:50:52 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 01:30:02PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> Yes. I can understand the whole "goto error" thing in a VB codebase
> since, just like HS Teoh's C example, it's often the only clean-ish
> way to handle errors in VB (Talking pre-.NET here, of course). The
> examples I was referring to were just general logic. And the
> "...statements..." sections were HUGE! Several hundred lines, and not
> always indented correctly IIRC. So it wasn't anything obvious-looking
> like the example.

I have seen 600+-line (and bigger) functions in "enterprise" production
code. I don't recall seeing using goto's in such functions for flow
control (other than error handling), but I may have missed them. :-P
I've also seen functions called do_everything() and doit(), where
parameters are passed via global variables (instead of, y'know, language
built-in function parameters). Or, on the flip side, functions with
10-15 parameters, each of which influences which subset of the others
actually have any effect.

*shrug*

Philosophy: how to make a career out of daydreaming.