Swift does away with pointers == pervasive ARC

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 16 11:13:01 PDT 2014

On 6/16/2014 8:16 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> What say you to that, Walter?
>
> Apple have committed to pervasive ARC, which you consistently argue is
> not feasible...
> Have I missed something, or is this a demonstration that it is
> actually practical?

I know very little about Swift.

But I did not say it was "not feasible". I said pervasive ARC in D simply would
not deliver the results you wanted. I doubt it delivers them in Swift, either,
though of course I don't have experience with Swift.

I.e. pervasive ARC in D would not deliver performance unless memory safety was
discarded.