Swift does away with pointers == pervasive ARC

Sean Kelly via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 16 11:33:51 PDT 2014

On Monday, 16 June 2014 at 18:12:59 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> But I did not say it was "not feasible". I said pervasive ARC
> in D simply would not deliver the results you wanted. I doubt
> it delivers them in Swift, either, though of course I don't
> have experience with Swift.
>
> I.e. pervasive ARC in D would not deliver performance unless
> memory safety was discarded.

Swift targets the same VM as ObjC so I think ARC was a foregone
conclusion.  And for that case it makes sense, as predictable
performance is crucial on mobile platforms.  Since D has raw
pointers and inline assembly I don't see ARC as being terribly
practical here however.  It's kind of the same issue as having
write barriers to support an incremental GC.