A Perspective on D from game industry

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 16 12:00:50 PDT 2014

On Monday, 16 June 2014 at 18:55:11 UTC, Xavier Bigand wrote:
> Le 16/06/2014 08:20, Nick Sabalausky a écrit :
>> On 6/15/2014 4:26 PM, Burp wrote:
>>>
>>>  I work in the game industry so I'm familiar with this type
>>> of mindset.
>>> Not everyone in my industry is like this, but unfortunately
>>> many are(I
>>> avoid working with them).
>>>
>>>  He doesn't understand metaprogramming and so dismisses it.
>>> He also
>>> assumes C++ is all about Java style OOP, when modern style is
>>> wildly
>>> different from Java.
>>>
>>>  And yes the game industry will likely *never* produce its
>>> own language
>>> or tools. Why? Because it is very short-term goal oriented,
>>> focusing
>>> almost entirely on the current project with little thought
>>> for long term
>>> growth. Most companies are relatively small, and even large
>>> ones like EA
>>> are very fragmented(although EA did produce its own version
>>> of the STL).
>>>
>>>  Basically, this guy is a *rendering engineer*, likely good
>>> at math and
>>> algorithms, but not so hot with design.
>>>

>> Interesting to hear, thanks for sharing your perspective.
>>
>> There's one thing I'd like to ask about though, not intending
>> to argue,
>> but just for clarification:
>>
>> You say the industry isn't likely to produce its own tools.
>> While I'm in
>> no position to disagree, I am surprised to hear that since the
>> industry
>> is known to produce some of its own middleware. EA is said to
>> have a
>> fairly sophisticated in-house UI authoring system, and of
>> course they
>> have Frostbite. Various studios have developed in-house
>> engines, and
>> many of the big-name ones (ex, Unreal Engine, Source,
>> CryEngine) started
>> out as in-house projects.
>>
>> Would you say those are more exceptional cases, or did you mean
>> something more specific by "tools"?
>>
> A language need to be open, it's not the case of all middle
> wares and game engines. Game companies like so much let their
> sources closed and sharing anything...
> It's a pain for small video game companies, we can't access to
> good articles,... So every body learn in his own little corner.

It is part of the culture.

Those of us that grew up in Europe and got into computers in the
mid-80s, know the demoscene culture pretty well, which grew out
of the game's development culture.

The goal was to impress other sceners how you managed to push the
hardware to the limits, beyond what anyone thought was possible
to do.

Not sharing how you managed to do it was part of the implicit
rules.

--
Paulo