Swift does away with pointers == pervasive ARC

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 01:36:05 PDT 2014

On 6/17/2014 2:56 AM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 05:52:37 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Well, I think interesting part we're trying to look at here is the
>> ARC's impact on speed.
>
> ARC without deep whole program analysis is bound to be slow.[...]

Right, but what I'm mainly curious about is "How much slower?" Depending
how the numbers play out, then as Manu has mentioned, it could be that
the relaxed memory requirements and amortized cost are enough to make it
a good tradeoff for a lot of people (Like Manu, I have some interest in
soft-realtime as well).

But I'm new to ARC, never even used ObjC, so I don't really even have
much frame of reference or ballpark ideas here. So that's why I'm
interested in the whole "How much slower?" Your descriptions of the ins
and outs of it, and Apple's motivations, are definitely interesting. But
even if nothing else, Manu's certainly right about one thing: What we
need is some hard empirical data.