Out of sight out of mind

Mathias LANG via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 02:15:21 PDT 2014

On Monday, 16 June 2014 at 13:53:39 UTC, Byron Heads wrote:
> Does github link issues with pull requests (and the
> conversation) and
> commits?  Does it link issues with sub issues/tasks?  Can
> Issues link to
> other repos (link issues that are in both runtime and std lib)?
>  If it
> does have these features (and they are easy to use) then I
> would back it.
>
> I have found jira to be one of the best trackers out there.
>
> -Byron

It have. A pull request is just 'a kind of issue with code'. You
can cross link to repository, as you would in commit message (
https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/vibe.d/commit/6f5b4c125db396c0e195e7824dbe108852315ab6
). You also have github's markdown.
/// See_Also:
https://help.github.com/articles/writing-on-github#references

Taking as an example: https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/vibe.d

Github would have several advantages:
+ Better visibility: you can see directly the number of issues,
and they are more likely to stay in sync with the code;
+ Better documentation: you can do the PR without having to fill
an issue for it, so the problem and the fix are in the same place
(for the changelog);
+ No maintenance cost;
+ Nicer interface:
https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/vibe.d/pulse/monthly
+ Markdown: HUGE plus IMO (for code, or even direct linking to a
specific file/commit).
+ WIP: if someone is working on something in his fork, and put as
commit message "[...], fix #650", github detects it and will put
a link to the commit in the main repository, so you can see if
someone is working on it.
Example:
https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/vibe.d/issues/655#ref-commit-5d80a00
(each rebase is referenced)

Overall, if we were to start over, I would advocate usage of
Github's issues.
It's simple, yet powerful: it does the job well, and is way more
convenient/accessible to use than bugzilla, given one has no
prior knowledge.

However, we are not to start over, and someone would have to do
the job if we were to change. I'm sure using github issues over
bugzilla would be worthy, but switching would be extermely
expensive in manpower.

Here's some big projects that use issues:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust
https://github.com/angular/angular.js
https://github.com/dotcloud/docker