A Perspective on D from game industry

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 02:17:15 PDT 2014

On 6/17/2014 4:43 AM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 08:23:08 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> That would require semantic analysis. Basically evaluate the string
>> mixin and to autocomplete on the resulted code.
>
> But consider something like gofix/dfix where you have to propagate
> changes back to the original prefix string. What do you do when the same
> prefix is used differently in two different mixin contexts?
>
> And even more important: how can you be certain that you discover all
> possible deprecated uses of a string-mixin'ed feature when you have the
> ability to do versioning. You either have to explore the "combinatorial
> explosion" of versioning constants or restrict the search to a fixed set.

I think you're hitting on the fundamental limitations of automated
code-updating tools here: They can't be treated as trusted black-boxes.
They may very well be a handy tool, but by their very nature they're
always going to need some degree of manual oversight, the amount and
nature of which could vary depending on the exact update being attempted.