Swift does away with pointers == pervasive ARC

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 04:02:01 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 09:24:32 UTC, Araq wrote:
> What's the point? Nimrod already exists and answers most of your
> questions. If only you would know how to ask...

If you know the answers then I am an eager listener. Go ahead! :-)

But isn't Nimrod a source-2-source compiler/translator?

In order to get efficient heap, GC, exception handling etc you
need to go all the way down to exploiting the underlying hardware
and memory layout on modern 64-bit architectures and leave some
of the C-cruft behind. It basically requires runtime and
backend-level changes.

You can get there by experimenting with one feature at the time,
but if you add all features at once you lock yourself into a
corner, IMO. So having a minimal and clean C-ish base as a
starting point would be valuable.