Swift does away with pointers == pervasive ARC

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 05:44:22 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 12:10:13 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 16/06/14 17:16, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> What say you to that, Walter?
>>
>> Apple have committed to pervasive ARC, which you consistently
>> argue is
>> not feasible...
>> Have I missed something, or is this a demonstration that it is
>> actually practical?
>
> I think Swift is only intended for high level application
> development. It doesn't feel like a true systems or general
> purpose language.

Why not? It enjoys feature parity with Objective-C and then some.

You want to do typical unsafe C style coding when required to do
so, it is possible:

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/Swift/Conceptual/BuildingCocoaApps/InteractingWithCAPIs.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014216-CH8-XID_13

--
Paulo