Out of sight out of mind

Andrew Edwards via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 06:23:50 PDT 2014

On 6/16/14, 10:09 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 15:37:22 UTC, Andrew Edwards wrote:
>> Observe the following truths:
>>     1) Issue tricking and resolution are kept separate in our community
>>     2) That which is not visible garners no attention
>
> Your message has not convinced me that the change would address the
> issues present.
>
>  From what I've seen Bugzilla has integrated well with Github.
> Mentioning a bug in a conversation may not get an autolink, but that
> doesn't sound like the issue trying to be solved.

The issue I'm trying to solve is to make "issues" more visible to people
who work on them. By putting those issues in the same location where
developers work, they immediately become more visible. Does it solve the
overall problem? No, definitely not! Doing so will not "MAKE" anyone
properly categorize, update, or even look at those issues. But it does
them more and therefore, garners more attention than if it were hidden
away in a separate system.

I log into github and, even though I'm unable to do much to improve the
situation by way of coding knowledge, I cannot but help clicking on the
list of outstanding pull requests, or the pulse tab to get a quick
glance of what's happening. If the issues where there, I would click on
them too: who knows, there may be a problem that I can solve.
Comparatively, the only time I access bugzilla is to check the list of
regressions when preparing for release. That doesn't even require me to
go to the system... just copy the link from the last message I posted.

The argument I'm hearing from the majority (at least those who choose to
respond) is "too much work for minimal gain." My question is too much
work for who? I'm volunteering to do the entire move myself. All the
community has to do is start creating new issues in GitHub and, until
such time as all reports are transferred to GitHub, continue to closeout
task on bugzilla where appropriate. That is no more work than what is
being done now because we are already using both systems.