Swift does away with pointers == pervasive ARC

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 10:55:33 PDT 2014

On 6/17/2014 12:13 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 06:56:11AM +0000, via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 05:52:37 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> Well, I think interesting part we're trying to look at here is the ARC's
>>> impact on speed.
>>
>> ARC without deep whole program analysis is bound to be slow.
> [...]
>
> But isn't whole program analysis impractical with D's separate
> compilation model?

I think that's exactly the concern he's voicing.

Limitations of the separate compilation model have come up before. For
example, the inability to retrieve all the subclasses of a base class.
Pretty sure there's been others, too.

Since whole-program-at-once *is* a common way to use D, I've always felt
that (issues of manpower aside, of course) whole-program-at-once users
shouldn't necessarily be robbed of abilities just because *other*
projects can't use them due to their own usage of separate-compilation.
Sometimes things are mutually exclusive. Doesn't mean we can't let the
user choose their tradeoffs for themselves.

But that's kinda venturing off onto a tangent.