Swift does away with pointers == pervasive ARC

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 11:13:28 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 06:04:56PM +0000, deadalnix via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 16:15:27 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >>
> >>ARC without deep whole program analysis is bound to be slow.
> >[...]
> >
> >But isn't whole program analysis impractical with D's separate
> >compilation model?

> It is certainly doable in release build, granted one have a
> powerful enough computer. Probably no realistic for fast, debug
> builds.

Well, first we need an option to turn on the GC in dmd... ;-) Otherwise
we'll run out of memory as soon as std.algorithm is involved. :-P

Frankly, I think dmd should enable its GC when compiling for -release;
it's the release build, you aren't expecting a fast code-compile-test
cycle anymore, and you probably want maximum optimization, so why not
take the time to conserve memory that can be used for other things, like
whole-program optimization, or a longer but more powerful optimization
pass?

--T