Swift does away with pointers == pervasive ARC

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 11:31:59 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 11:15:29AM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 6/17/2014 4:36 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> >If we can't experiment with the compiler's ability to eliminate
> >redundant RC related work, then we aren't 'experimenting' with
> >anything of interest.
>
> That is assuming that a sufficiently smart compiler can eliminate all
> costs associated with ARC, so there is no need to understand those
> costs. This really is a faulty assumption. No compiler has achieved
> this, or come even close.
[...]

I don't think he's claiming that the compiler can eliminate *all* costs
associated with ARC, just that it can do enough to be reasonably
performant. But as I said, until somebody actually implements such a
thing in a (github fork of a) D compiler, we have no real evidence as to
just how much the compiler can/cannot do.

I don't trust computers, I've spent too long programming to think that
they can get anything right. -- James Miller