A Perspective on D from game industry

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 11:58:27 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 18:24:22 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> How would the compiler (or any tool!) detect the use (or
> non-use) of
> deprecated features here?

You compile it or detect AST-node presence.

> If you want it to run in a browser, and the browser doesn't
> support
> certain language features, then you'll just have to restrict
> your code
> to the subset of the language that's implementable in a
> browser, no?

And avoid standard libraries?

Javascript supports eval() so it can support string mixins in
theory, even at runtime, but if you cannot easily translate the
mixin content then you have a challenge.

Not that D is meant for web browsers, but my point is more that
macro-like features has consequences that go beyond the compiler
internals.