A Perspective on D from game industry

c0de517e via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 15:20:59 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 11:45:30 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 11:28:12 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
>> http://c0de517e.blogspot.ca/2014/06/where-is-my-c-replacement.html?m=1
>>
>> The arguments against D are pretty weak if I'm honest, but I
>> think it's important we understand what people think of D. I
>> can confirm this sentiment is fairly common in the industry.
>>
>> Watch out for the little jab at Andrei :-P
>
> I like how he says that productivity is important and mentions
> fear of meta-programming in the same article ;)
>
> Interesting though, I had totally different set of demands and
> expectation when used to work with C/C++. Feels like industry
> matters much more than a language here.

For a personal perspective on meta-programming risks - here is a
write up
http://c0de517e.blogspot.ca/2014/06/bonus-round-languages-metaprogramming.html

The issue I have with metaprogramming (and overloading and some
other similar ideas) is that it makes a statement dependent on a
lot of context, this is tricky in a large team as now just
reading a change doesn't really tell much. Our is an industry
where we still exercise a lot of control, we want to know exactly
what a statement does in terms of how it's executed.

I won't replicate what I wrote on the blog here, so if you're
interested I'd love to have more comments on that aspect, but
that is why I care about productivity but I'd rather prefer to
gain that with faster iteration and language features that don't
make semantics more flexible, than metaprogramming.

Then of course a tool is a tool and I'd always love to have
-more- tools, so I'm not saying metaprogramming is a bad thing to
have. Like OO is not really a bad thing to have either. But there
are tools to be used with certain care. Metaprogramming
-mentality- is scary to me like OO-heavy thinking is.