A Perspective on D from game industry

c0de517e via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 16:40:47 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 17 June 2014 at 22:58:58 UTC, Araq wrote:
>> The issue I have with metaprogramming (and overloading and
>> some other similar ideas) is that it makes a statement
>> dependent on a lot of context, this is tricky in a large team
>> as now just reading a change doesn't really tell much. Our is
>> an industry where we still exercise a lot of control, we want
>> to know exactly what a statement does in terms of how it's
>> executed.
>>

> Can be easily solved by better tooling, esp since it's all done
> at compile-time. ("Show code after some/all transformations.")
> The lack of imagination among programmers (and even professional
> game developers) is just sad.

Well, we're still writing code as a static text and that's sad
(actually, not true for languages like Mathematica) but on the
other hand it's an entire infrastructure that needs to change and
that's huge. Is this proposed tooling for example going to be
available in all the IDEs we use, the Diff tools, the version
control, the code-review tools...