Not initialized out argument error

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 16:59:39 PDT 2014

Jonathan M Davis:

> Regardless, I fully support how out works.

Why? Do you often need to return .init from out arguments? Do you
think that adding logic to make sure you have initialized the
argument inside the function (as in Ada and C#) isn't going to
improve the safety of your D code? Do you think that both Ada and
C# designers have done a design mistake? What's good in an
argument annotation that is used to return a value and that
accepts you to not set such value, to return a default one?

> I just think that we should try and optimize out its costs

This whole discussion was not about optimizations. It was about
safety and logic neatness of a language feature.

Bye,
bearophile