A Perspective on D from game industry

c0de517e via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 23:28:15 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 18 June 2014 at 05:48:14 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 6/16/14, 9:24 PM, c0de517e wrote:
>> Hi everybody. I'm Angelo Pesce, the author of the post on
>> c0de517e.
> [snip]
>
> Thanks for chiming in! -- Andrei

Hi Andrei! I had a little stab at your hugely influential book in
the post, which I've read with interest at the time.

Unfortunately I do think it gets abused, which clearly is not the
book's fault, to the point that I'm persuaded it originated more
bizantine, messy code than solved problems. I might though be
biased by the fact I work in a very specific industry though.

The same in my mind goes for the GOF Patterns book (actually the
patterns one is just bad, damaging and boring at the same time,
it just renames existing language concepts and casts them in a OO
mantle).

Certain concepts gained so much hype that people started applying
them mindlessly. Crister Ericson write it well:
http://realtimecollisiondetection.net/blog/?p=44 and
http://realtimecollisiondetection.net/blog/?p=81

So I'm curious, do you think certain concepts went too far, that
we should educate against some hypes and abuses, or you think
that it's just my very partial view of the world and if looking
at the C++ community at large, template metaprogramming is not
abused?

What would you think of stuff like this?
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0b1/libs/geometry/doc/html/geometry/design.html
(if you can share...)