A Perspective on D from game industry

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 18 01:27:49 PDT 2014

On 18/06/2014 8:21 p.m., Wanderer wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 11:28:12 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
>> http://c0de517e.blogspot.ca/2014/06/where-is-my-c-replacement.html?m=1
>>
>> The arguments against D are pretty weak if I'm honest, but I think
>> it's important we understand what people think of D. I can confirm
>> this sentiment is fairly common in the industry.
>>
>> Watch out for the little jab at Andrei :-P
>
> My opinion: if you want D to smoothly replace both C++ and Java, simply
> do the following:
>
> 1. Sane language specification (which doesn't allow a slice of a
> stack-allocated array to escape to other part of a program, doesn't
> allow an object to contain garbage under ANY circumstances etc).
>
> 2. Workable compiler (that doesn't crash on 20% of code it tries to
> compile :-P).

I've only found that when using CTFE + templates in a big way. Any other
time.. its like 1% if that.

> 3. Stable, efficient and well-documented runtime library, including
> collection classes, IO, date/time, concurrency, GUI, graphics, sound etc.
>
> 4. A well-designed IDE written purely in D, which allows analysis and
> refactoring (like IntelliJ IDEA which is written in Java), free of course.
 >
> Believe me, after the step 4 is finished, MANY, if not most, of C++ and
> Java programmers will switch to D in no time. The language already
> provides many nice improvements, it's just not practical to use D yet
> (because RTL is still under development, no IDE etc).

Something that I was thinking about, was about building the ecosystem up
but not in a purely free way.
Duel licensing. Free for opensource, education and personal use. Not
free for commercial use. Buy the IDE, buy the lot kind of deal.

I know this is a little like taboo in the D community, but it would help
considerably I think.