A Perspective on D from game industry

c0de517e via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 18 09:19:24 PDT 2014

> My opinion: if you want D to smoothly replace both C++ and
> Java, simply do the following:
>
> 1. Sane language specification (which doesn't allow a slice of
> a stack-allocated array to escape to other part of a program,
> doesn't allow an object to contain garbage under ANY
> circumstances etc).
>
> 2. Workable compiler (that doesn't crash on 20% of code it
> tries to compile :-P).
>
> 3. Stable, efficient and well-documented runtime library,
> including collection classes, IO, date/time, concurrency, GUI,
> graphics, sound etc.
>
> 4. A well-designed IDE written purely in D, which allows
> analysis and refactoring (like IntelliJ IDEA which is written
> in Java), free of course.

In my domain 4. is totally unnecessary, we use Visual Studio or
we don't use an IDE on 99% of the projects. VisualD is the best
thing that could have been done.
3. and 1. are quite unnecessary too, 2. of course is a must

But as I wrote I doubt that people will think at a point that
yes, now D is 100% a better version of C++/Java/younameit, let's
switch. I don't think it's how things go, I think successful
languages find one thing a community really can't live without
and get adopted there and from there expand. E.G. JavaScript is
horribly broken, but some people really needed to be able to put
code client-side on web pages, so now JS is everywhere...