A Perspective on D from game industry

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 18 12:44:01 PDT 2014

On 6/18/2014 3:09 PM, c0de517e wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 June 2014 at 18:18:28 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 18 June 2014 at 18:17:03 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>>> This is, but that's how it works nevertheless. You don't succeed by
>>> arguing what the reality should be, but by accepting what it is and
>>> act accordingly.
>>
>> Being ashamed of it instead of glorifying such attitude is one way to
>> motivate a change :)
>
> You can't fight human psychology, but if you're -really- smart
> you strive to understand it and work with it.

There's a *big* difference between "human psychology" and "being an
idiot who makes decisions poorly". For the former, unconditional
acceptance is the only possible option. But for the latter,
unconditional acceptance is nothing more than a convenient way to
justify (and in effect, encourage) idiocy; it's both self-destructive
and entirely avoidable given the actual willingness to avoid it.

The belief that "No amount of improvement is worthwhile unless it comes
with some single killer feature" might be common, but it definitely is
NOT an immutable aspect of human psychology: It's just plain being an
idiot who's trying to rationalize their own laziness and fear of change,
instead of doing a programmer's/engineer's JOB of making decisions based
on valid reasoning. It's NOT an immutable "human psychology" belief
until someone's DECIDED to rationalize it as such and make excuses for it.

This is something I feel very strongly about. Is is *THE #1* reason the
world, and especially the tech sector, has become so pathetically
inundated with morons and idiocy: Because instead of fighting and
condemning stupidity, it's excused, accepted and even rewarded. That's
exactly why so much has gone soooo fucking wrong.