Tail pad optimization, cache friendlyness and C++ interrop

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 19 12:59:14 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 19 June 2014 at 18:10:57 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/19/2014 4:12 AM, Artur Skawina via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 06/18/14 18:42, Dicebot via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>>> Wait what? Do you know a single person who decided to not
>>> work on DMD FE because of kind of formally (but not
>>> practically) non-free backend?
>>
>> Well, do you think I would have said what I did if this issue
>> didn't
>> affect /me/? [1]
>
> The front end is now Boost licensed.

Admittedly his concerns are unclear, but his problem is with the
backend, not the frontend, which he already said he likes better
now that it's boost-licensed.  He claims that the proprietary
backend scares potential contributors away and that it should be
"split up" from the frontend, by which he might mean putting it
in a separate git repo?

I don't know enough about these copyright tainting concerns to
say if it's a good idea, just pointing out that he was talking
about the backend, not the frontend.