Tail pad optimization, cache friendlyness and C++ interrop

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 19 13:45:38 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 08:31:53PM +0000, via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 19 June 2014 at 19:37:32 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
> >But the non-solvability of the halting problem means that there is no
> >algorithm that can compress every possible program.
>
> Even if true, programmers don't write every possible program when they
> try to write @safe code.

So how do you, as a compiler writer, predict exactly which programs your
users will write? -- because without knowing that, you cannot know which
analysis algorithms to implement that will solve the N-step halting
problem for all the programs that users will write (even though that's
only a very small finite set out of the space of all possible
programs!). So the only remaining approach is to consider all possible
programs. Which means you have to implement exhaustive state space
search. Which is impractical for the reasons I stated.

This is a tpyo.