Tail pad optimization, cache friendlyness and C++ interrop

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 20 10:53:46 PDT 2014

On 6/20/2014 5:13 AM, Artur Skawina via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 06/20/14 13:51, David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Which wouldn't really help Artur (whether his concerns are justified or
>> not), as we usually tell people to contribute their frontend patches
>> directly to the upstream DMD repository.
>
> Yes. Also, like I've already said, working on top of a downstream tree would
> eventually either result in a fork, or fail, with the latter being the much
> more likely result.
>
> I'll just add that I now think I've overstated the gains that splitting out
> the free frontend would bring. That's because I've since realized how hard it
> would still be to deal with development on top of git head, when one can not
> immediately test the result /on real code/ (ie using a non-dmd backend).
> Without a truly shared frontend, there's no good solution, I guess. :(

Just install dmd on your machine and contribute to the front end that way. Just
because the back end is not what you want, it isn't going to corrupt your free
open source contributions in the slightest, and those changes will make their
way into LDC and GDC.

Or you can contribute to the repositories for GDC and LDC directly, and then
issue PR's for them into the main front end github.