Redesign of dlang.org

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 20 12:56:17 PDT 2014

I thought I'd post an update on this work so I don't leave any
people hanging who are wondering about this.

I haven't had the time in the last week or so to work on this as
I have been very busy recently with other responsibilities. With
my day job in particular, I will be in Berlin most of next week
hosting a conference with my company. Because it's a small world,
by pure coincidence Sociomantic are actually sponsoring this
conference. (I doubt the marketing guys talk to the D programmers
that much, though.)

http://www.performancemarketinginsights.com/14/europe/sponsor/sociomantic/

However, after I get back I will defintely work on this redesign
some more. Unless somebody pins me down, I'll keep going with it.
I only just realised that I made the terrible mistake of not
pushing my most recent changes, so you can find them now on
GitHub.

I started working on discovering Markdown files at runtime for
filling in a sections of pages, like center part of changelog
pages, and generating the table of contents from the HTML
automatically. Because the prospect of parsing HTML myself scares
me, I just copied in Adam D Ruppe's DOM library for that. I hope
that I have properly attributed the authors for that code, please
advise me if I should add any additional attribution in there
otherwise.

The early result of that I think has been pretty good. I can edit
a file and see a change pretty quickly. I lost the functions I
was using to generating the Bugzilla links, but I'm going to
replacing them with links to /bug/<id> instead, and making that
page redirect to the right place, just so I can make my Markdown
files a little smaller. The amount of memory consumed while
compiling is better, going from something like 2GB to 1.2GB,
because there aren't tons of Diet templates to build in anymore.
The Markdown parsing is just the library functionality that comes
with vibe.d.

I totally have not converted all of the pages from Diet to
Markdown yet. In fact, if you run the site as is now, you can't
see any of the changelog pages except 2.000 anymore. Plus, you
could perhaps do something involving caching files instead of
something that works for now.

So there's my update for now.