DIP64: Attribute Cleanup

Chris Cain via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 21 11:31:42 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 21 June 2014 at 18:20:43 UTC, Temtaime wrote:
> And attributes - it's only restrictions and gives almost
> nothing.

I'll reiterate that the restrictions in question make code easier
to reason about. Increased reasoning is not "almost nothing" ...
in fact, that's one of the main benefits of having any
abstractions at all.

> If you  don't want to play with pointers - just don't do it
> instead of writing @safe etc.

I think if you'd like a discussion about the values of the
various attributes, you should create a topic about it. This
topic should really only relate to this DIP.

But FWIW, if what you said was truly sufficient, then there
wouldn't be nearly as many bugs in C++ codebases as there are.
Furthermore, there wouldn't be D, Go, Rust, Haskell, etc. and/or
they wouldn't be found to be valuable by anyone.