Compile-time memory footprint of std.algorithm

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 21 13:38:42 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 09:34:35PM +0100, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 22 April 2014 19:09, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> > Testing a 2.065 pre-release snapshot against GDC. I see that
> > std.algorithm now surpasses 2.1GBs of memory consumption when
> > compiling unittests.  This is bringing my laptop down to its knees
> > for a painful 2/3 minutes.
> >
> > This is time that could be better spent if the unittests where
> > simply broken down/split up.
>

> The final nail in the coffin was when my laptop locked up building
> phobos development using dmd.
>
> Went out and bought an SSD disk and replaced my crippled HDD drive -
> expecting no further problems in the near future...

It's long past due for std.algorithm to be broken up. And this isn't the
first time problems like this came up, either.

I vaguely recall someone working on an algorithms module, potentially
splitting up some of the stuff from the current std.algorithm; whatever
happened with that?

In fact, splitting std.algorithm has been mentioned so many times, that
I feel like I should just shut up and submit a PR for it instead. Even
if it gets rejected, at least it gets things moving instead of everyone
talking about it yet nothing ever comes of it.

Perhaps the most widespread illusion is that if we were in power we would behave very differently from those who now hold it---when, in truth, in order to get power we would have to become very much like them. -- Unknown