Tail pad optimization, cache friendlyness and C++ interrop

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 22 15:02:07 PDT 2014

On 6/22/2014 2:02 PM, Joakim wrote:
> Since Artur is being so evasive, I believe he's talking about the same reasons
> why Walter purposely won't even look at llvm code, which is basically
> BSD-licensed.  Any time you can say you haven't even looked at any outside code,
> let alone contributed to it, you save yourself legal hassles.  I think he's
> saying that many potential contributors will see the legal uncertainty from
> dmd's licenses and just pass on contributing to dmd.
>
> I don't know how real a concern this is, as I've thankfully never had to deal
> with these copyright-tainting issues.

My main issue is simply protecting DMD from someone, years later, asserting some
sort of claim over it. Also, I need to be able to deal with issues as they come
up, and some contributors may be unreachable (and this has happened multiple times).

With copyright assignment, these issues go away.

I don't know why any contributors need to be concerned about the Boost license,
or the copyright assignment, affecting them. As far as credit goes, the github
repository provides ample credit to who did what, and in fact I encourage people
to use their real names on it so that they get the credit they're due.